We had some great meals last week from a Williams Sonoma cookbook called "Simple Suppers". The next 3 recipes will only take you 30 minutes, start to finish.
Isn't schnitzel a funny word? Bobby turned his nose a bit when I said that was on our menu but I thought that he would like it. I was right!
Pork Schnitzel with Arugula
1 lemon
1 1/2 c coarse fresh bread crumbs
1/3 c flour
salt and freshly ground pepper
1 egg
4, 1 1/2 lb Boneless pork cutlets
4 T olive oil
1 minced shallot
6 oz arugula, tough stems removed
1. Bread the pork
Finely grate 2 teaspoons zest and squeeze 2 T juice from 1 lemon. Spread the bread crumbs into a shallow bowl. In another shallow bowl, stir together the flour, lemon zest, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. In a 3rd shallow bowl, whisk the egg with 1/2 tablespoons water. Place 1 pork cutlet between 2 sheets of waxed paper. Using a meat pounder or the flat bottom of a heavy pan, lightly pound the pork until; it is about 1/2 inch thick. Repeat with the remaining cutlets. Dip both sides of each cutlet in the flour, then in the egg, and finally in the crumbs, coating evenly and patting them firmly so they adhere. (The pork cutlet can be prepared, covered, and refrigerated up to 3 hours in advance.)
2. Cook the pork
In a large frying pan over medium-high heat, warm 2 tablespoons of the oil. Add the cutlets and cook, turning once, until golden brown on both sides and barely pink in the center, 4-6 minutes total. Transfer to a plate.
3. Make the salad
Add the remaining 2 tablespoons oil to the pan over medium heat. Add the shallots and saute until softened, about 1 minute. Stir in the lemon juice, scraping up the browned bits on the pan bottom. Remove from the heat, add the arugula, and toss briefly to coat with the dressing. Divide the cutlets among dinner plates and top with the arugula mixture. Garnish with the lemon wedges and serve.
Helpful hints:
1. I used store bought bread crumbs which worked fine. I think it would be better to do 1/2 regular crumbs and 1/2 panko bread crumbs for a little extra crunch.
2. We really like lemon in this house so I put more than 2T lemon juice.
3. I thought that the arugula might get wilted when i added the hot/warm dressing to it but it turned out great. You could use spinach too, but I prefer arugula. Always.
Happy eating!!!

No comments:
Post a Comment