Carbs.
Bread. Toast. Pancakes. French Toast. Rolls. Cinnamon Rolls. Cereal. Pasta. Rice. Pretzels. Crackers. Breakfast Bread. Muffins. Pastries. You get it...
Anyone who knows me knows that carbs are #1. It's not really a complete meal without some sort of carb. I love to make fresh carbs. Cinnamon rolls, Muffins, Bread, anything.
We had this for dinner on Saturday night... but I needed something else. I took out the cookbooks and started looking. I didn't have time to make anything with yeast. I just wanted something with plain flavor. The "staple" Betty Crocker cookbook had several options. I went with popovers. 4 ingredients, that's it. They were beyond wonderful and SO EASY to make. As long as you can be by the oven at the 20 minute mark these could not be any easier. With the reduced fat/calorie version below, 1 popover is only 1 gram of fat and 100 calories! What can beat that AND be satisfying??
Popovers
Makes 6 popovers
1 egg plus 2 eggs whites
1 cup all-purpose flour (do not use self-rising flour in this recipe)
1 cup skim milk
1/2 t salt
1. Heat oven to 450 degrees. Generously spray 6-cup popover or six 6-ounce ramekins. Set aside.
2. Beat eggs slightly in medium bowl. Beat in remaining ingredients just until smooth (do not over-beat). Fill cups about 1/2 full.
3. Bake 20 minutes.
4. Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees. Bake about 20 minutes longer or until deep golden brown. Immediately remove from cups. Serve hot.
Adapted from Betty Crocker's New Cookbook

No comments:
Post a Comment